Some Tips for Finding the Best Domain Name
With so many choices, it’s not easy to choose your domain from the best domain name provider in Canada.
Make it Memorable
Find a name that will grab the attention and curiosity of your potential visitors.
Know Your Customers
Ask yourself which domain name reflects your targeted clientele.
Try to use a keyword as the domain name.
The domain name should be short and easy to remember.
Take Your Time
Take the time to look at different variations before deciding on your choice.
Checking out what your competition has chosen can help make your choice.
It’s time for our Canadian web hosting experts to answer your questions!
Did not find the answer you were looking for? No problem, just contact us through our contact form and our team of support experts from Canada will get back to you!
Domain names are meant to make our life easier on the internet. In fact, the Internet uses so-called IP addresses to communicate between servers, but remembering an individual IP address is not an easy task for a human being. Here is where the domain names come into play. They are much easier to remember and will help your friends and potential customers find your website in the blink of an eye.
- Decide on the domain extension you would like to use. The extension is the part at the end of the web address, like ‘.com’, ‘.net’, ‘.info’, ‘.org’, etc. There are several different extensions that can be used, for example, you could use a ‘.ca’ extension to indicate that your business is in Canada.
- Think about what you want to have before the dot. This should represent your business, business field or whatever in relation to the usage you want on your website.
- Check if your domain idea is available with the form at the top of the page. We will check quickly and tell you if it is available. We will also show you other domain names that may interest you.
- Choose one or more domains, add them to your cart and proceed to checkout. Once done, you will be the proud owner of your domain name. Nobody will be able to use this domain name for as long as it is registered to you.
There are some rules that can help you make your domain name more popular.
- Catchy and easy to remember. You can use your business name as a domain name (or some do the opposite, they find a domain name and then choose their business name), for people; use your name.
- Short and simple. Short names are easier to remember than long names. Try to make it as short as possible.
- Choose it local. For a local business, try using a local extension. For example, having a .ca domain for a Canadian company will make it easier to conduct searches by your customers.
- Avoid special characters. It’s possible to have numbers as well as some special characters in a domain name, but they could cause problem. For the numbers, it is possible that someone hearing your domain name is not sure whether to write « 6 » or « six ». Special characters usually give the addresses a less professional look.
- Protect your name. Sometimes it is better to have more than one domain. The more popular your site becomes, the more copiers will try to reduce traffic to your site. Registering badly written domains will help prevent this problem.
- Stay away from brands or copyrights. Even if a domain is available, you should stay away from trademark or copyright domain names. Having such a name could possibly lead to legal problems.
There are some restrictions in connection with the registration of a domain name.
- A domain name can only contain letters, numbers, and hyphens. Any other characters are not allowed in a domain name. (It is however possible to register domains with accents such as éàôôî, etc. however this type of domain requires a special registration method. If you are interested in this type of domain, please contact Astral Internet)
- You can not use hyphens at the beginning or end of a domain name.
- There is a minimum length and a maximum to respect. Domain names must be between 3 and 63 characters long.
With some domain extensions (like .com), there are no restrictions on usage, but other domain extensions have some restrictions. For example:
- The .mobi extension was created for mobile devices. Thus, any site using the .mobi extension must be a mobile site.
- Some extensions require special permissions to be used such as .gouv (government), .edu (school or university) and .mil (military).
- The majority of Top-Level Country Domains (ccTLDs) are not available for purchase by anyone. Often, you must be a citizen of the country in question in order to register it. This is particularly the case of .ca
Of course! There is no extra charge to transfer your domain name with us. Our technical support team is available at all times to help you if you encounter problems during the transfer process.
We have been in the Canadian web hosting industry for almost 20 years and have gained a great deal of expertise on everything related to online clouds, including domain name management.
With Astral Internet, you will enjoy several benefits such as:
- Free lockdown of your domain name to prevent unauthorized transfer.
- Several complementary features such as protecting your information to prevent spammers, crooks and identity thieves from gaining access to your personal information.
- Prices in Canadian dollars. Since our hosting company is located in Canada, all our prices are in Canadian dollars, saving you up to 30% compared to our competitors who often charge in USD.
- High level technical assistance. We do not outsource our support staff. We proudly offer 24/7 technical assistance by our Canadian-based experts.
The short answer is: yes.
The long answer is: absolutely! Our web hosting plan in Canada are 100% compatible with any domain name, no matter where it is located. All you have to do is point the entries of the « nameservers » that will be provided to you in your product welcome email after the purchase of an hosting plan.
Domain names and web hosting are two completely separate services. The majority of our packages do not include a domain name, but you should always keep an eye on our website for promotions and discounts.
All our domains can be managed from your own client portal. On your portal portal, simply select the « Domains » menu and you will see all available options for managing your name servers, contact information and more.
When you register a domain name, as long as you pay the annual renewal fee on time, you remain the legitimate owner of that domain name. You can do what you want with it. Use it, keep it for future use, sell it to others, etc.
Being a major web hosting company in Canada, we have several types of servers and products that require separate name servers. Unfortunately, we can not list here which name servers should be used specifically for your product. The best place to check is in the « Account Information » email that was sent to you when you purchased your hosting plan. Otherwise, you can always contact our technical support team through your client portal and we will be happy to provide you with the specific information for your needs.